On the hunt for a delicious hot cross bun to devour this Good Friday? We visited The Store in Britomart recently and found rows of golden brown buns fresh from their artisan bakery oven. Here's what we thought after a sample....
Breaking open the steaming hot cross bun, layering it with a dollop of butter and taking a bite these buns certainly deliver on taste. The deliciously sweet glaze, hints of both orange and spice, and a light addition of fruit, give them the perfect mix of flavours. Lucky for you (and us!) The Store have kindly shared their recipe with us; so you can choose to pick up a bag, or get adventurous this Good Friday and try your hand at baking your own!
Note that this recipe makes 12.
500gms High grade bakers flour
2 tsp Dry yeast
300mls Warm water
15mls Canola oil
15gms Mixed spice
250gmsDried Fruit Mix
Mix until combined
60mls Boiling water
Bring water to boil in a pot,stir in sugar until it dissolves
- Place water, dry yeast and flour into a small benchtop mixer. Mix on first speed until combined.
- Add salt and sugar, then mix on second speed for roughly 5 minutes.
- When the dough is combined, add canola oil and mixed spice and mix on a slow speed until dough is combined again.
- Add fruit and mix on slow speed until fruit is spread through dough evenly.
- Remove dough from the mixing bowl and rest on a bench top for roughly 20 minutes(cover with clingfilm) .
- Divide the dough into 100gm buns and shape round.
- Place shapped buns onto a greased baking tray. Allow to rest until they have doubled in size.
- Turn oven on to bake at 160 degrees.
- Using a piping bag cross the buns with the above 'Crossing Recipe,' and place into the preheated oven for 15 to 20mins depending on colour (you want them to be a lovely golden brown)
- Once out of the oven, brush the bun glaze over the buns and allow to cool.
To learn more about The Store see here