The OuterLink is the easiest way to get around the inner suburbs of Auckland City. It runs from Wellesley St, past the Universities, through Parnell, Newmarket, Epsom, Balmoral, Mt Eden, St Lukes, Mt Albert, out to the Meola Rd entrance to MOTAT, through Westmere, Herne Bay and then back to Wellesley St. The buses are bright amber and operate on a frequent basis, so no timetables are required.
Here are the best places to hop off in the city from the OuterLink route
- Auckland Museum
- Wellesley Street is an all-you-need stop with shopping, dining and entertainment right at the stop or a few minutes walk away, here are the highlights of this area
- The Civic
- Aotea Square a beautifully designed outdoor area that is surrounded by the best theatres and entertainment in Auckland including Q Theatre, Aotea Centre, Event Cinema and The Basement.
- Elliott Stables
- A short walk from Wellesley Street is Federal Street and the SKYCITY entertainment area.
Normal bus fares apply - find out more about fares and zones here.
Fares can be paid using an AT HOP card or cash for single-trip paper tickets.The AT Hop card is a reusable prepay smart card for travel on trains, ferries and buses around Auckland. Using the card will save you money on fares - at least 25% discount off single trip cash bus, train and ferry fares (excludes NiteRider and SkyBus bus services and Waiheke ferry services).
Discounts and concessions are available for day and monthly passes, and for children, students and accessible passengers. Senior citizens can travel for free on trains and selected bus and ferry services in Auckland, after 9am weekdays and all day weekends and public holidays with an AT HOP card loaded with a SuperGold public transport concession. Fares are calculated based on how many zones you travel through, rather than how many buses or trains you take. See more information on fares and discounts here on the AT website.
Monday to Friday: Every 12-15mins from 6.00am to midnight*
Weekends & Public Holidays: Every 15mins from 6.00am to midnight*
*Actual frequency may vary
Outer Link Bus Route
More about the OuterLink Bus
Links with trains and other buses
- Convenient way to get around central Auckland and inner suburbs
- Frequent services mean minimal waiting times
- Air conditioned with designer comfort seats
- Wheelchair and pushchair friendly buses
Visit this page for more information on buses. And for full details and to find out the best way for getting to and from the city, check out Auckland Transport's journey planner here .