The international day of the pickle is back for 2019 – and this time the celebrations are being stretched across a whole delicious week.
While International Pickle Day is officially recognised on Thursday, November 14 and Kiwi eateries are planning some very special menu additions for the week of November 11-17.
Foodies will be able to get themselves into a pickle in a variety of ways this year, with the eateries creating their dishes in conjunction with popular, US, family-owned pickle company, McClure’s Pickles.
Innovative menu items include pickle hot dogs, pickle shakes, pickle pizzas, pickle wontons, deep fried pickles.
Meanwhile at Best Ugly Bagel nationwide, Al Brown’s popular Yodi creation is being given the double pickle treatment, with its pastrami, habanero mustard and grilled swiss, topped with double McClure’s pickles. But wait there’s more, with complimentary McClure’s pickles on any of the classic or vege bagel sandwiches.
A plethora of pickle dishes are on offer at Dr Rudi’s Rooftop Brewery, beer battered McClureʼs Pickles with marinated Clevedon Buffalo cheese, platters, burgers, pickle pizzas, beers n’ spears and deep fried pickles are available at Wynyard Pavilion and Sweat Shop Brew Kitchen.
Diners will also be able to wash down their snacks with some pickle-inspired drinks, such as Culprit’s Lowdown, a whiskey sour made with pickle brine.
There are 32 participating eateries around the country located across Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Wellington, Christchurch, Hokitika and Queenstown – and 8 participating eateries in the city centre.
- Burger Boy –-Triple Pickle Cheeseburger - a twist on Burger Boy’s classic cheeseburger with McClure’s pickles three ways
- Culprit – The Lowdown; Thomson two tone whisky, McClure's pickle brine, egg whites, fresh lemon juice and Lowbrow original spice.
- Dr Rudi’s - Beer battered McClureʼs Pickles with marinated Clevedon Buffalo cheese, platters, burgers, pickle pizzas, beers n’ spears
- Pilkingtons – Two burger creations
- Wynyard Pavilion - Beer battered deep fried pickles with aioli & habanero mustard
- Brothers Beer (City Works Depot) - “The McPickle Wontons” - A triple cheese, pickle, and brisket wonton served with hoisin BBQ beer dipping sauce
- Al’s Best Ugly