As of 11.59am on August 17 2021, we are now in Alert Level 4. Below is a list of essential services that are open in the city centre under the current alert level along with important information from businesses.
Important note from COVID19.govt.nz:
At Alert Level 4, you must stay home other than for essential personal movement.
We encourage you to wear a face covering and keep 2 metres distance from others when leaving your home. Especially if it is difficult to maintain physical distance from others.
- Supermarkets, dairies, pharmacies and food banks will remain open.
- If possible, try to send one person per household to do the shopping.
- Practise 2 metre physical distancing and good hygiene while shopping.
- Dairies and food banks will operate a strict “one-in, one-out” policy. They will not be allowed to sell or provide food prepared on the premises.
You legally must wear a face covering:
- on public transport and at departure points, for example train stations and bus stops
- on flights
- in taxi or ride-share vehicles — drivers and passengers
- when visiting healthcare facilities
- inside any Alert Level 4 businesses and services that are still open and involve customer contact, including supermarkets, pharmacies and petrol stations".
- Metro Countdown, Lower Albert Street - 7am to 7pm daily
- Countdown Victoria Street, 19-25 Victoria Street West - Monday to Sunday 7am to 10pm + online deliveries
- Countdown Quay Street, 76 Quay Street - Monday to Sunday 6am to 12am + online deliveries
- Countdown Metro Halsey Street, 104 Packenham Street West - Monday to Friday 6am to 8pm, Saturday & Sunday 8am to 6pm
Important note from Countdown:
We have health and safety measures in place to help keep our team and customers safe. This includes physical distancing, limiting the number of customers, having plenty of hand sanitiser available, and making sure the COVID-19 Tracer App QR codes are clearly visible.
Online demand is heavy but our Priority Assistance service is back up and running for vulnerable New Zealanders, and all deliveries nationwide will be contactless. As always, please scan in, wear a mask and only buy what you need. Keep it kind and kia kaha. We’ve got this…. again!
New World Metro Queen Street, 125 Queen Street - Monday to Friday 7am to 10pm, Saturday & Sunday 8am to 10pm
Important note from New World:
We encourage everyone nationwide to always scan the COVID tracer app, wear a mask when shopping, nominate one person in the household to shop and ask a friend or neighbour to shop on your behalf if you aren’t feeling well. As per previous Alert Level 4s, customers at our supermarkets will see some staff protection measures returning to their local store, including perspex protective screens at checkout, floor decals communicating the appropriate 2m physical distancing length, staff wearing masks and to maintain the social distancing measures, we will be limiting the number of customers in store at any one time.
- Furein Asian Supermarket, 239 Queen Street - Monday to Sunday 10am to 8pm
- Midtown Mini Supermarket, 22 Durham Street West - 9am to 9pm daily
Dairies and Superettes:
Dairies continue to operate, but must observe strict physical distancing rules for customers such as ‘one-in one-out’ policy and they aren't allowed to sell food prepared on the premises.
- City Star Convenience Store, 35 Victoria Street West - 24 hours, 7 days
- Good To Go, 63 Albert Street - Monday to Friday 7am to 9pm, Saturday 9am to 9pm, Sunday 10am to 8pm
- YES24 Convenience Store, 283 Queen Street - Monday & Tuesday 9am to 10:30pm, Wednesday & Thursday 9am to 11pm, Friday 9am to 12am, Saturday 10am to 12pm, Sunday 10am to 10:30pm
- Civic Convenience Store, 10 Wellesley Street West - Sunday to Thursday 7am to 12am, Friday to Saturday 7am to 1am
- Discount Dairy, 17 Albert Street - Monday to Friday 6:30am to 7pm, Saturday & Sunday 7am to 7:30pm
- OM's Grocery Mart, 95d Customs Street West - Monday to Thursday 7am to 10pm, Friday 7am to 11:30pm, Saturday 8am to 11:30pm, Sunday 8am to 8pm
- Queen Mart City, 14 Lorne Street - Monday to Friday 7:30am to 10:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 9:30am to 10:30am
- S.C.S Convenience store, 32 Swanson Street - Monday to Thursday 6am to 11pm, Friday 6am to 3am, Saturday 7am to 3am, Sunday 7am to 11pm
- Sail City Mart, 7 Victoria St East - 7:30am to 11pm daily
- NZ Convenience Store, 131 Hobson Street - 24 hours, 7 days
- Habibi Convenience Store, 52 High Street - 12pm to 12am daily
- BT Mart, 33 Lorne Street
- Circle K, 36 Courthouse Lane - Monday to Tuesday 7am – 10pm, Wednesday 7am – 10:30pm, Thursday 7am – 11pm, Friday 7am – 2am, Saturday 11am – 2am, Sunday 1pm – 10pm
- City Convenience Plus, 21 Wellesley Street - Monday to Friday 6:30am – 11pm, Saturday 7:30am – 11pm, Sunday 10am – 10pm
- Albert Mart Convenience Store, 33 Wyndham Street
- City Convenience Store, 75 Victoria Street - 24 hours 7 days
- City Convenience Store, 103 Albert Street - 7am – 11:30pm daily
- City Convenience Store, 9-11 Albert Street
- City Convenience Store, 4 Kingston Street
- City Star Convenience Store, 100 – 120 Beaumont Street
- Midtown Mini Supermarket, 22 Durham Street West - Monday to Friday 6:30am – 10pm, Saturday to Sunday 10am – 12am
- Queen Mart City, 10 – 14 Lorne Street, Monday to Friday 7:30am – 10:30pm, Saturday to Sunday 9:30am – 10:30pm
- Smile Supermarket, 22 Viaduct Harbour Avenue, Monday to Friday 7am – 7pm, Saturday 9am – 3pm, Sunday closed
- Super Food Market, 60 Hobson Street, everyday 10am – 9:30pm
- Victoria Mart, 136 Victoria Street West
- Victoria Street Lotto & Newsagents, 67 Victoria Street West, Monday to Friday 6:30am – 8pm, Saturday 9am – 8pm, Sunday closed
- Yes24 Convenience Store, 238 Queen Street, Monday to Tuesday 9am – 10:30pm, Wednesday to Thursday 9am – 11pm, Saturday 10am - 12am, Sunday 10am – 10:30pm
- Q Convenience Store, 32 Queen Street - 24 hours, 7 days
- Citymed Pharmacy,8 Albert Street - Monday to Friday 8am to 5:30pm
- Unichem 104 Queen St Pharmacy- Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm, Saturday 10am to 6pm, Sunday 10am to 5pm
- Unichem 280 Queen St Pharmacy- Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm, Saturday & Sunday 10am to 6pm
- Unichem Wyndham Street Pharmacy, 33 Wyndham Street - Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
- Unichem Wynyard Pharmacy, 58 Gaunt Street - Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm
- Chemist Warehouse, 155 Queen Street - Monday to Sunday 8am to 9pm + online deliveries
- Zoom Pharmacy, Ground Floor/11 Westhaven Drive, Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm (online only)
Health Care Providers:
To find out where you can go for COVID-19 testing and vaccinations, click here
- Caring Clinic Doctors, 175 Queen Street - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm + video consultations
Note from Caring Clinic Doctors:
"We will continue to care and support you via telephone/video consultation or arranged on-site doctors' appointments. Call 09-2222577 to book, email@example.com"
- Citymed, 8 Albert Street - Monday to Friday 8am to 5:30pm - telephone and video consultations.
Note from Citymed:
"In the first instance, we are ONLY offering phone and video consults. If you require a physical examination, the doctor will arrange this with your during your virtual consult. If you need a COVID swab, please call the nurses to arrange this. Swabbing is by appointment only, NO walk-ins".
- Queen Street Doctors, 187 Queen Street - Telephone & video consultations available. Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm
Note from Queen Street Doctors:
"We will be using virtual, non-contact consultations where possible. If you have already made an appointment to see one of our doctors please call to confirm whether this should be by phone, video or an in-person consultation. We have a COVID-19 testing clinic on the ground floor of the Dingwall Building. Please call for an appointment. Please wear a mask and maintain 2m distancing when entering the premises".
- The Fono, Level 2 33 Wyndham Street - Telephone consultations only. Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5pm
Note from The Fono:
"All our public health services will be closed to the public. All booked appointments will now be phone consultations".
- Shortland Health, 51 Shortland Street - Telephone screenings only. Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm
Note from Shortland Health:
"If you require any medical assistance, please phone our practice. All patients will be screened during their initial phone call to determine their’ next steps’. If you have a booked appointment, our team will be in contact. Dial 111 if you need urgent help. Most consultations will happen over the phone (or by videoconference, FaceTime, Skype, etc.) to stop any risk of the disease spreading by person-to-person contact. If a face-to-face meeting is required, our team will organise this with you"
109 Doctors, Level 3 109 Queen Street - Monday to Friday 9am – 5:30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed
Viaduct Medical Centre, 125 Customs Street West - Monday to Thursday 9:30am – 5:30am
Mortimer Hirst Optometrist, 9 High Street - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm, Wednesday 8.30am - 6.00pm, Saturday 9.00am - 4.00pm.
Note from Mortimer Hirst:
"Mortimer Hirst is approved and registered as an essential service provider by the Ministry of Health and MBIE to deliver emergency and acute eye care during Alert Level 4. Although our practices are currently closed we are available to you remotely for emergency spectacle repairs, contact lenses, solutions, eye drops, prescriptions and virtual triaging for emergency eye care. We have had all freight redirected and arranged a daily pickup to ensure we can continue to order, receive and courier products to you on a daily basis. If you need to contact Mortimer Hirst for urgent care please call or email: Ph: 093798950, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org"
Transport and logistics:
Transport services, note from COVID19.govt.nz:
"At Alert Level 4, all types of transport and travel are restricted. Only travel for essential reasons, such as to get food or medicine, or to go to work if you are an Alert Level 4 worker".
- New Zealand Post - "Due to NZ’s changing alert levels, we’ve moved to contactless delivery and physical distancing nationwide. These changes along with recent weather events may lead to some delays during this time".
New Zealand Couriers - "New Zealand Couriers will do their utmost to keep essential items moving to where they are needed. Please do not send items to any address that is not open to receive courier packages. We are not able to hold courier items - and if it is not possible to make a delivery, the item may well be returned to the sender (at the sender’s cost). Where possible please use online tracking to check on the status of your item - Alert Level Four restrictions, mean our Customer Services team are under pressure, please only contact our people with critical queries".
Taxis, public transport and ride-sharing services - You can use public transport, taxis and ride-sharing services for transport for essential reasons only.
Banks will continue to remain open for online and phone banking, please use internet banking and mobile apps where you can. Some banks will have reduced hours at selected branches. We will continue to update this page as we find out specifics from each bank.
- Westpac, 79 Queen Street
Note from Westpac:
"Our branches are currently unable to open as an essential service during Alert Level 4. Please see here for information about other ways you can do your banking. Customers who need urgent assistance should contact us on 0800 400 600 however call volumes may be higher than normal".
- ASB, 300 Queen Street & 125 Queen Street
Note from ASB:
"As the country moves into Alert Level 4, we will endeavour to open 46 branches on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 2pm with a priority hour from 9am to 10am (for vulnerable/elderly customers). We’re updating our branch openings here: www.asb.co.nz/contact-us/branch-changes.html. You can also send us secure messages in FastNet Classic where one of our team will respond to you. Our Contact Centre is also available on 0800 803 804 8am - 8pm, but please be patient if there is a delay as call volumes are higher than normal. All branches open during Alert Level 4 will be operating controlled entry, 2 metre physical distancing and contact tracing. All our team members will be using personal protective equipment and we encourage customers to do the same".
- Kiwibank, 155 Fanshawe Street & 23 Customs Street East
Note from Kiwibank:
"Under Alert Level 4, all Kiwibank branches around the country will be closed for the remainder of the week. We encourage you to continue to bank through Internet Banking and the mobile app. We will continue to update our website, please check in for updates here before calling. If you need help banking from home, take a look at our internet banking guides".
ANZ, 205 Queen Street & 45 Queen Street
Note from ANZ:
"Following Government advice, all branches will remain closed in Alert Level 4 to help NZ tackle the highly contagious Delta variant. Rest assured though we still have plenty of options to help you do your banking from home. In Alert Level 4 the safest option is to do your banking via the ANZ goMoney mobile app, Internet Banking, or our 24/7 Phone Banking. If you aren’t using these already it’s quick and easy to get set-up here: anz.co.nz/guides. If you’re unable to bank any other way or need urgent support, our Customer Care Team is available on 0800 269 296 too. However, they tend to get a bit swamped during level changes, so for info and regular updates, try anz.co.nz/heretohelp".
BNZ, 80 Queen Street & Commercial Bay
Note from BNZ:
"All BNZ branches and partners centres will be closed tomorrow, and we will update you soon on the plan for Thursday and the rest of Alert Level 4. Remember, there are lots of services that we offer online. If you’re unsure, please message us and we will talk you through your options. You can access our most up to date COVID-19 related information at https://www.bnz.co.nz/covid19, call our contact centre on 0800 275 269 or send us a private message on Facebook".